What went wrong?
We are deeply saddened to learn that Odalis Santos Mena, a 23-year-old social media influencer, body-builder and fitness competitor, recently died of cardiac arrest while seeking treatment for underarm sweating. In news reports, Mena's death has been linked to being administered anesthesia by someone who was not a trained anesthetist and a drug reaction between the anesthesia and medications and supplements she was using.
Mena was to undergo microwave thermolysis of underarm sweat glands, or miraDry, in Mexico. As many of our readers know, miraDry is a non-surgical underarm procedure that's supposed to be performed with local anesthesia (numbing of the armpit area, as opposed to "general" or "full" anesthesia, which puts a person in a sleep-like, unconscious state). An FDA-cleared, hand-held medical device, miraDry is designed for use by a trained, licensed medical professional. The brand was recently bought by 1315 Capital, a healthcare growth equity firm.
Our hearts go out to all those who knew and loved Mena and we wish peace to all who mourn her loss.
To learn about what to expect from a hyperhidrosis procedure or treatment and the appropriate training required to administer that treatment, please review our Treatments section. We encourage everyone to also discuss the pros, cons, and expectations of treatment with a reputable, licensed, trained medical professional. Multiple professional opinions are even better. Equally important: fully inform medical providers of all medications, supplements, or other substances you use. #StaySafe